The Excelsior Scholarship, in combination with other student financial aid programs, allows students to attend a SUNY or CUNY college tuition-free.
A recipient of an Excelsior Scholarship may receive up to $5,500.
An applicant must:
- Be a resident of NYS and have resided in NYS for 12 continuous months prior to the beginning of the term
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
have either graduated from high school in the United States, earned a high school equivalency diploma, or passed a federally approved “Ability to Benefit” test, as defined by the Commissioner of the State Education Department
- Have a combined federal adjusted gross income of $125,000 or less;
- Be pursuing an undergraduate degree at a SUNY or CUNY college, including community colleges and the statutory colleges at Cornell University and Alfred University
- Be enrolled in at least 12 credits per term and complete at least 30 credits each year (successively), applicable toward his or her degree program through continuous study with no break in enrollment except for certain reasons that can be documented
- If attended college prior to the 2020-21 academic year, have earned at least 30 credits each year (successively), applicable toward his or her degree program prior to applying for an Excelsior Scholarship
- Be in a non-default status on a student loan made under any NYS or federal education loan program or on the repayment of any NYS award
be in compliance with the terms of the service condition(s) imposed by any NYS award that you have previously received
- Execute a Contract agreeing to reside in NYS for the length of time the award was received, and, if employed during such time, be employed in NYS.
To apply today, click here.